Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cooking With Kids

Posted by Anonymous at 12:19 PM
During my daily web hunt for great recipes, new food products and gifts, I found this great website that outlines the benefits of cooking with your kids. Although, I do love to cook with my kids, I am almost always left with a big mess or finishing the batches of cookies as the children get bored and run off to do the next best thing. It could make any delightful gourmet not so delightful! This article helped me to remember how important cooking with your kids really is. Here are a few of the concepts cooking with kids teaches young ones:



Self confidence, healthy eating, preparedness, apppreciation for the cook, sanitation, time management, team work, creativity, cause and effect, measuring and fractions.

These are just a few of the great things you can teach your kids. What better way to teach a teen age boy how to respect his future wife than by making him know how much energy goes into cooking a meal himself? One of the hardest things I had to learn after I was married was how to cook a meal from start to finish. That meant starting certain dishes at different times to ensure the meal was completed at just the right time. Starting early helps kids learn how to do this so they won't have to stress about it in their young adulthood.

So I have decided to continue cooking with my kids even though there may be a disastrous mess afterward. Now, I just need an article to help me figure out how to get them to help me clean up!

7 comments on "Cooking With Kids"

Cate O'Malley on June 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM said...

Good luck on the getting them to help with clean-up - I'm still trying that too!

The Delightful Gourmet said...

Hi Cate, just visited your blog and love it. I left you a post about what a great writer you are. I am going to try your meatballs. They look healthy and delicous.

Melissa H. said...

My son hates it when I bake because he is scared to death I may make dishs for him. So we have started a ritual where we clean up as the goodies are baking or cooking. The child that helps out the most gets first pick of the baking goodies. Works like a charm!

Cindy Shea on June 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM said...

This sounds great. I love cooking with my little 7 year old niece. She just loves to stir and and mix whatever we are making.

Melissa H. your comment is still cracking me up! I too suffer from the fear of creating dishes so maybe we should start a support group huh! :)

Anonymous said...

It truly is funny. He fears dishes more than public speaking! :)

Gourmet Mama on June 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM said...

Awww... I loved what you said about teenage boys learning how to cook so they'd appreciate their wives later on. Cooking can be fun but it does take a lot of time and effort. I love the photo. She looks so cute.

The Delightful Gourmet on June 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM said...

Thanks Gourmet Mama. I just visited your blog and love the photo of the peanut butter cupcakes. Oh, they look so yummy.

 

Delightful Gourmet Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez