Friday, June 5, 2009

The Delightful Gourmet Is Making A Change

Posted by Anonymous at 11:52 AM
It's official! I am tired of being unhealthy. I am a self proclaimed fast food junkie. Don't get me wrong, I love to try new recipes, explore the globe for the latest gourmet trends and bake up fabulous desserts but when it comes to day to day eating, I grab fast food before I start my next task. Being a mom, business owner, blogger, wife and running maintanence on many websites has made me put my health on the back burner.

To illustrate, I will give you my Mon-Fri. eating schedule:




  • Breakfast-Coffee. Not sipped with enjoyment but swilled down like a tequila shot before I begin running my business and getting kids ready for school.

  • Lunch-A piece of bread with peanut butter that I shove down my throat as I supervise the gift basket designers, blog, answer emails, phone calls and errands.


  • Dinner-By 5:00 I fall into my chair and beg my husband to go pick up something so we can start our administrative work for the business and deal with kid's homework and bedtime.

There is my eating schedule for the week. Of course, on the weekends I am looking for fabulous recipes to prepare for my blog. SO I AM MAKING A CHANGE. I am going to make myself a priority and begin cooking dinner more often. I will admit, I will start with extremely easy recipes and even boxed sides. This still has to be better than fast food. So here goes. These are some pictures of my first meal under my new WAY OF LIFE. It was delicious and easy.

I printed this recipe from Better Recipes.com and adapted it for ease.

Pepper Jack Chicken:


4 bonelesss skinless chicken breast. (Have your butcher cut the breast in half making them thinner and faster to cook.)

Worchestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

Half Onion Sliced

8 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese

1 tbsp Butter

  1. Marinate chicken breasts in worchestershire sauce and soy sauce. I just dumped some into a plastic freezer bag. No measuring needed.

  2. Coat pan with Extra Virgn Olive Oil and heat for a few minutes. Grill chicken and add your favorite spices. I just throw in a little Lawry's season salt and a pinch of garlic salt.

  3. While chicken is cooking, add butter to another pan and let heat. Throw in sliced onions and sautee. Remove from heat when finished.

  4. When chicken is finished (no longer pink) remove from pan and place in microwavable dish.
  5. Place pepper jack cheese slices over chicken and top with sauteed onions.

  6. Put in microwave long enough to melt cheese.
I paired the chicken with bagged salad and boxed rice from the grocery store and we had a fabulous chicken dinner that took me less than 30 minutes. I will try to post my fast dinners often and let you know my progress.

If anyone else suffers from FAST FOOD ADDICTION, please join me in the fight to make our family's healthier, stronger and happier. Please comment on any struggles, successes and set backs you have encountered. Join me today. We can do this together.

12 comments on "The Delightful Gourmet Is Making A Change"

Cindy Shea on June 5, 2009 at 6:36 PM said...

Delightful Gourmet, you have really struck a cord with me after reading this! I too am stuck in the destructive path of bad eating habits. As I write this I have just sucessively and methodically managed to unrwrap and inhale 8 mini size candi bars without even realizing the extent of the damage until I finish surfing the net!

It is this kind of behavior in my opinion that has gotten me to my present unbearable weight. When I was thin, my eyes would just POP right open in the morning and I would jump out of bed with all the enthusiasm of Seinfeld's Cosmo Kramer! The robins would be singing and the sun would beckon a new day. Now? I painfully awake to the ominous sounds of ravens and mournful doves as I face extreme fatigue, drowsiness and all the enthusiasm of a dejected mime!

I am really looking forward to the recipes you post and the tips and encouragement you offer as I too try to "Make A Change". I echo you in your efforts as we rally the troops to the front to unitedly attack this all too common foe of bad eating habits in solidarity!

Cindy Shea:)

The Deligtful Gourmet on June 6, 2009 at 9:52 AM said...

Thanks for the post Cindy. What causes your bad eating habits? Are you a busy whirlwind like so many women trying to survive and thrive in today's economy?

Betty F. said...

Try a crockpot for dinners. We have much healthy dinners when we are busy if we take just a few minutes in the morning to make a nutritious crockpot dinner. It will save you time and you won't feel the need to run out for fast food by the time you are starving for dinner.

Cindy Shea on June 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM said...

Great idea Betty, I just need to pull it out of the cupboard. Can you recommend some easy meals to try in the crockpot?

The Delightful Gourmet on June 6, 2009 at 5:58 PM said...

This is a good idea. I am off to search for some good crock pot recipes. I will post some if I find any that really stand out.

Lesly Lewis said...

The onions on your chicken look good. Everytime I try to sautee onions, the turn out burnt. Any suggestions on getting them soft but not burnt.

Andrew G on June 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM said...

oooo that looks really good. Were did you take that picture at?

The Delightful Gourmet said...

I made the pepper jack chicken and took a photo before my family and I inhaled it. :)

AndreaQ on June 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM said...

Congratulations on taking steps to be healthier! It certainly isn't easy-especially today when we all try to be everything to everyone ALL of the time! One thing that I find really helps me eat better all week long is to wash and chop and bag all my veggies when I get home from the grocery store. Cuts meal prep in half during the week and I'm way more likely to cook if something is already done! Good luck!

The Delightful Gourmet said...

Thanks Andrea,
That is a great tip. I will definately try that. Since your up and already working in the kitchen putting the groceries away it seems like a no brainer! It's very hard to be healthy but I am doing it one day at a time. Once I get used to it, I plan on starting up my baking on the weekends again. Just don't want sabatoge myself until my healthier lifestyle becomes a habit!

The Cheap Gourmet on June 21, 2009 at 6:09 PM said...

Congrats for eating healthy! My friend and I have designated each Monday as "Fruits and Veggies" day. We are in the process of creating a menu to share with others who want to eat healthy. If you or your readers would like to join us, we'll be happy to share the weekly menus with you. Our first menu will be available this coming Friday. Drop me a note if you would like a copy.

The Delightful Gourmet said...

Hi Cheap Gourmet,
We would love to share your healthy recipes. Unfortunately, I can't get your link to work. Hopefully, you will come back and read this so we can be a part of your Fruits and Veggies Monday! :)

 

Delightful Gourmet Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez