Monday, June 22, 2009

Get Out And Picnic!

Posted by Anonymous at 9:37 AM
Have you ever noticed that the same exact experiences feel totally different as an adult than when you were a child. A picnic was like a really super fun day with climbing monkey bars, chasing birds, watching watermelon juice drip down your arm, etc. As an adult, the experience seem much different. Making and bagging sandwiches, cutting up watermelon, remembering napkins, loading the car, keeping ants off the food, packing everything up, lugging everything home and cleaning everything up. Again, same experience; different perspective.

So the question is, how do we make picnics enjoyable for adults so that we plan them more often for our kids. First of all, keep it simple. If you hate cutting up fruit but want to include it, buy a fruit tray at the deli of your local grocery store. That way any leftovers are neatly stored and ready for bringing home. Second, be sure to include the kids in preparation. Letting the kids help you make sandwiches and salad creates anticipation for the picnic itself. Let them do a job they have never done before such as spread mayonnaise with a butter knife. They will feel accomplished and you will ease the work load. Of course, you can use paper plates, plastic silverware and cups to make clean up a cinch.

The point is, get out and go! Make sure your kids have the same summer picnic memories as you do. Don't let the adult perspective keep you from enjoying outdoor fun with your family. Now to tackle those monkey bars!

9 comments on "Get Out And Picnic!"

Amy Green on June 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM said...

I love your blog (it is precious!!) and your zest for life. Picnics are a blast for people of all ages and an often overlooked way to simply spend time together. Great tips, too.

Judy Grenville said...

My family and I are planning a picnic out by our local lake this weekend. It will be fun to watch the kids run around and play. I am too tired to cook so I am buying ready made food at Costco!

Joanne Seagers said...

Those monkey bars, yeah right! I tried to just hand and not even bother going across. I couldn't even do that. Talk about the adult perspective!

The Cashmere Bunny on June 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM said...

Sometimes to save time and avoid the excuses of not going, we stop by Subway for our sandwiches and pack water bottles and fresh fruit. Makes an easy picnic day.

Yummy in my tummy on June 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM said...

I have been thinking about going on a picnic in the near future. I just wish my daughter was a few years old so she could help me out with that=)

James R. said...

What should you avoid when packing for a picnic? Are there any no-nos?

The Delightful Gourmet said...

You should avoid things that may spoil in the hot sun such as mayonnaise and macaroni salad. If you do plan on taking items such as these, be sure to ice them or eat them right away. :)

Leslie Dean said...

For the 4th, I plan on taking my kids up to the mountains and picnicing there. There is a lake that they can swim in. I like the subway idea. Maybe I will do that so I don't bring home a bunch of sand.

Debbie G. said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!

 

Delightful Gourmet Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez