Monday, June 1, 2009

Triple Layer Chocolate Bars

Posted by Anonymous at 10:03 AM
Here is my latest weekend baking project. Triple Layer Chocolate Bars! Yummy! I am usually not a big fan of coconut but these bars turned out delicious. Two weekends out of the month, I try to do a cooking project with my kids (my fifteen-year-old has outgrown the tradition). I let them pick out the recipe and we go shopping for the ingredients and we come home and bake or cook it. My seven-year-old loves to carry the list at the grocery store and find all the ingredients. This recipe was pretty simple. It was practically dumping one layer ontop of the previous. If you are looking for a quick baking recipe for kids, this is a good one.
You will need:

  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter

  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

  • 7 ounces packaged flaked coconut

  • 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk

  • 1 12 ounce package of semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and melt butter in a 13x9 baking pan. Sprinkle evenly graham cracker crumbs over butter. Top with coconut then evaporated milk. Bake for 25 minutes. In a small sauce pan melt peanut butter and chocolate and spread over coconut layer. Cool 30 minutes. Chill and cut into bars. Here is a helpful hint. Don't crush the graham crackers by hand. It was a big mess and I actually had to give my dog a bath from all of the flying crumbs!

13 comments on "Triple Layer Chocolate Bars"

Snooky doodle on June 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM said...

oh I love chocolate and coconut. These are so tempting.

Anonymous said...

They are tempting but SO easy. My sister came over today and grabbed one off of my counter and she asked me if "I went to Mrs. Fields!!" Now, that is the ultimate compliment. :)

Cindy Shea on June 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM said...

I actually tasted these over at Pam's house and OMG! They were Sooooooo good!

Andrew G on June 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM said...

Mmmm those were good. Were did you get the idea to make them??

Sympathy Gifts on June 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM said...

Awe..no fair, I want some...can you send them airmail?

Anonymous said...

I found this recipe in my Favorite Brand Name Cookbook. Actually, my daughter picked this recipe out. She likes to pick out recipes she knows we don't have the ingredients for to guarantee herself a trip to the grocery store. We like to spend time in the fruit section picking up the different types of fruits we have never seen. What is a rambutan anyway. We both loved staring at this strange fruit. Would love to know what it is used for.

Generation Girls on June 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM said...

Is it hard to spread the peanut butter and chocolate mix over the coconut? Are there any tricks?

Cindy Shea on June 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM said...

Actually there is a very simple trick to getting sticky things to spread or flow without messing up. If you are spreading peanut butter onto something else simply spray your knife with some butter flavored cooking spray. You want to use the butter flavor unless you like the tast of olive or sunflower oil spray on your brownies...Yuk! You can use this same trick to get honey to pour out of a measuring cup without sticking. Just spray the inside of it first and then pour in the honey and it will pour right out without sticking.

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Thanks Cindy.

Lesley on June 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM said...

oh be still my heart....Love those...thanks so much for coming by on my feature day last week...I'm so glad you did

Anonymous said...

No problem Noah's Mommy. Your blog is super cute and your baby is even cuter. Love that picture with the chocolate cake on his face. It looks like me with these triple layer bars! HA HA

kiss my spatula on June 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM said...

oh my. i think i'm in love. those look just too good (and dangerous to be left alone with me).

The Delightful Gourmet said...

Kiss my spatula,
Just looked at your blog and those lawnmower cupcakes are ADORABLE! What a great summer treat. My daughter is having a carnival next week and I think I will make these. :) Great blog.

 

Delightful Gourmet Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez